Q loves mac & cheese, but he’s lactose intolerant! Can Merle come up with a vegan mac & cheese recipe that’s just as good as his mom’s classic mac recipe?
Blend your own cashew cheese in Goodful’s two-in-one blender/food processor: https://bzfd.it/38OLjrQ
Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese
1 cup raw cashews
Warm water, for soaking cashews
1 head of garlic
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
3 cups cold water
1¼ cups panko bread crumbs
½ teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons vegan butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups cooked elbow pasta, cooked according to package instructions until al dente
1. Add the cashews to a medium bowl and cover with warm water by 1 inch. Soak for 3–4 hours, until the cashews are softened and plump, then drain.
2. While the cashews are soaking, make the roasted garlic: Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
3. Cut off the top ½ inch of the head of garlic and drizzle with 1 tablespoons of olive oil. Replace the top of the head of garlic and wrap tightly in foil. Roast for 35–40 minutes, until the cloves are easily pierced with a fork. Unwrap the garlic and let cool completely. Once cooled, remove all of the cloves from their skins.
4. Add the soaked cashews and roasted garlic cloves to a high-powered blender. Add the cold water and blend on high speed until completely smooth. 30–60 seconds. Set aside.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the panko, paprika, and 1 teaspoon of salt and mix with a spatula to coat with the oil. Toast for 3–5 minutes, until the bread crumbs are lightly golden brown, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove the panko from the pan and set aside.
6. In the same skillet, melt together the vegan butter and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 2–3 minutes, until fragrant but not browning. Whisk in the flour, making sure there are no clumps. Cook the roux for 3–4 minutes, whisking continuously, until the flour is golden in color and fragrant.
7. Add the blended cashew mixture to the skillet and whisk well to combine with the roux. Add the nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, turmeric, pepper, and remaining 2 teaspoons of salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and pool when drizzled, but not so thick that it is gloppy. If the cheese sauce is too thick, add more water, 2 tablespoons at a time, until it is the desired consistency.
8. Add the elbow noodles and toss until well coated in the sauce.
9. Sprinkle the toasted bread crumbs on top of the pasta in an even layer.
10. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling around the edges of the skillet and the bread crumbs are deep golden brown.
11. Serve hot.
RECIPE BY: Karlee Rotoly
Subscribe to Goodful: https://bzfd.it/2QApoPk
Feel better, be better, and do better. Subscribe to Goodful for all your healthy self care needs, from food to fitness and everything in between!
Connect with Goodful:
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialgoodful/
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/goodful/
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/goodful
Check out our website: https://www.goodful.com/
Subscribe to the Goodful Newsletter: https://www.buzzfeed.com/newsletters/goodful
Licensed via Audio Network
SFX Provided By AudioBlocks
Classic Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese on a White Background
View original video by clicking here.